Monday, January 13, 2014

Dark

I tend to get into moods where the past floods back and won't get out of my head...when this happens I try to write my feelings.  It takes a huge weight off my shoulders and reminds me of all the good things in my life.  It's releasing the bad and the pain, allowing me to move forward.  Here's an example:

Suffocating 
Fingers pressed
Around my throat
Constantly adding pressure
Squeezing
When I'm lucky
I catch a breath
Every morsel of air
Blessed upon my body
Feels like a miracle 
It could be my savior
Yet the pain reappears
Emerging every cell
Of my deteriorating body 
My veins burn
My head throbs 
My body shakes
The only thought left in my head
Is why

Why 
Is considered a whine
A complaint 
A bratty word
Yet it frequently crosses my brain
Why I was born into a well off family 
Why I have the abilities I have 
Why I got away
Why the rest of the world has to suffer
As the biggest worries I have 
Are superficial 
It's not fair

I'm still working on expanding these to make them more effective, but I think it gives an overall idea of what I'm trying to say.  It's very important for me to flush out my emotions...lucky for me this makes interesting poetry;)  

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jennifer!

    I'm Lenny, a future English teacher from the University of Saint Joseph in CT, and I am going to be reading your blog every week!

    Your blog seems very interesting to me because I like to write as well! I mostly write fiction stories, but, when I am in the mood, I write poetry. Like you said, poetry is a great way to write out your feelings. I myself am "in my head" a lot, and when that happens, I find it is best to get my thoughts out on paper. Keep on writing your thoughts! They can drive us crazy if we keep them bottled up inside.

    Your poem is very good! You use great, descriptive words - "suffocating," "squeezing," "throbs," "bratty." I find that the best poetry uses concrete, descriptive words that really give an image, and uses words that say so much with so little. You also go beyond the superficial, talking about concerns bigger than yourself. Good work!

    I look forward to more entries!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the feedback Lenny! Best of luck with your teaching career, and I look forward to hearing what you think in blog posts to come!

      Delete