Sunday, April 6, 2014

The Beginning of the End

Presentation time!  It's weird to think that the end of the year is coming so fast... From now on, I'm going to focus most of my time on the structure and slides for my presentation.  It's coming up very quickly and the more I do to prepare the better.  I'm leaning towards starting the speech with a longer poem than I usually writing focusing on what I've learned about myself through this project.  I think this would be a more unique way to approach it, since many of my classmates will begin with a simple introduction.  So I'm going to work on the poem these next upcoming weeks; hopefully it will end up being about 1-2 minutes.  As for slides during this, I was thinking about beginning with just a simple black then slowly transitioning by having a beaming light shine through.  This would represent the brightness poetry brings upon my life and how it has allowed me to flourish in multiple ways.  Then, I'm going to introduce myself talk about how this year I have become a more decisive person by making decisions that I have always been too afraid to make (i.e. quitting swimming, standing up for myself in regards to friends, and even trying new things like volunteering).  The next step would be to link 20 Time and poetry to the success I've had.  I'm going to talk about how everybody should have the opportunity to relinquish their feelings and think outside of the ordinary.  A lot of times as students, we are pressured to be this perfect person.  As we try to form ourselves to please everybody else, we lose our originality.  At least I know I lost my passion for a couple years when I stopped writing which allowed me to contemplate all my options.  So this will be the main idea of my speech: to incorporate a balance in your life and that it's okay to be your own person and differ from the normal.

I also wanted to include two of the other gothic pieces I wrote.  I don't think they are the best poetry I've written, but they do mark me challenging myself and stepping out of my comfort zone.  I normally would have never tried to write something like this, and I am proud of myself for stepping up to the challenge and trying, even if the result wasn't quite what I was hoping.  Here they are:


Adrestia


Thunder booms shaking the wobbly house
He stays concealed in the dark room
Only a single light beams

His eyes scan the text made visible from the candle
He can hear the wind whipping outside
Hissing at his comfortableness

As he reads he commemorates
The love he felt blossoming in his stomach
Making him feel rich and whole

He remembers her soft skin
He can still feel her tender hand
Stroking his chiseled jaw

He recalls her laugh bursting with life
How he naively believed that
Nothing could ever tear them apart

Until the night where the devil appeared
Knocking at his door
Cunningly tantalizing him

His faithfulness instantly dissolved
Lust prevailed
Clouding his judgement

In the midst of this sin
She appeared at the door
Watching in horror

As his eyes glanced up
To meet her astonished look
She bolted

He quickly scampered out of bed
Throwing on clothes
Desperate to find her


As he headed towards the woods
Running to catch up
His heart pounding

Panic washed over him
Confusion entered his brain
Where did she go?

He stopped and listened closely
He heard a faint crumpling of leaves
Followed by a distant splash

He sprinted towards the lake
In the far west end of the forest
But it was too late

She had positioned a rock above her
Then slid into the frigid water
Suffocating to her death

His head began to throb
His eyes filled with tears
His stomach erupted with guilt

As the memory plays back in his head
The old man reading her letter
Begins to sob loudly

Even when the door to his room creaked open
He continued to wail
Oblivious to the figure creeping in front of him

Her eyes blazed with fury
Her hands were soaked with blood
And hanging out of her pocket was a garrotte

Suddenly the crying stopped
His eyes lit up
“Adrestia?” he whispered

A glimmer of excitement
Mixed with utter confusion
Were in his voice as he spoke her name

A sly smirk slithered onto her face
She inched closer
“Say it like you mean it” she cunningly demanded

“ADRESTIIIIII”
Before completing his proclamation
She had swiftly reached the garrote around his neck

She chuckled as his eyes bulged out of their sockets
And as his heart ceased to beat
She murmured to his corpse “karma always conquers”



Manic Frenzy

As I try to disappear into slumberous thoughts
An unsettling noise creeps through my ears and into my brain
Every relaxed muscle in my body becomes alert
Tick Tock, Tick Tock

My head sways back and forth like a metronome
Every second elongates and is absorbed into my body
I feel my eyes roll back into their sockets as time dominates me
Tick Tock, Tick Tock

The blood in my wrists pulsate
A certain lust for pain emerges in the depths of my stomach
My body stirs and arises from the cold ground
Tick Tock, Tick Tock

The jagged floor pierces my bare feet
My eyes are blood red flaming with anguish and desire
My body continues to sway left and right
Tick Tock, Tick Tock

As I continue forth, the sound gets louder
My heart races and my palms begin to sweat in a maniacal manner
The tempo  rushing through my veins rapidly accelerates
Tick Tock, Tick Tock

Suddenly there is a wall in front of me
My hands are clawing upward
My feet are throbbing to the beat
Tick Tock, Tick Tock

The top of the blockade is brimming with ruination
Jagged pieces of metal protrude
Temping me
Tick Tock, Tick Tock

My finger gently caresses a point
A bead of blood appears
A grin creeps onto my chapped lips
Tick Tock, Tick Tock

I press the metal into my wrist
A deep red blood oozes out
My heart beats mirroring the melody pounding in my head
Tick Tock, Tick Tock

As the ticking escalates, I rip out my hair chunk by chunk
My tongue salivates as I bite my own skin
My body throbs to the rhythm
Tick Tock, Tick Tock

A bright light then becomes visible
I look down to see a blurred image I cannot recognize
I hear a mumble
Tick Tock, Tick Tock

The fuzziness continues to wash over me
But one thought is apparent:
I must complete my task, I must not surrender
Tick Tock, Tick Tock

And so I angle myself to the perfect position
And jab my left breast into the stinging metal
Blood gushes
Tick Tock, Tick Tock

My vision blurs into the darkness
My lungs gasp for more air
The ticking slows
Tick Tock, Tick Tock, Tick Tock

Darkness Prevails
As my body fades into nothingness
My bloody remains float away
Never to be seen again

However on the windiest nights
If you listen ever so closely
A faint ticking noise can be heard
Along with the whisper “Tick Tock, Tick Tock”

  

2 comments:

  1. Sorry I haven't commented in a while! I had to finish my own project for school...even teachers have to do work!

    Nevertheless, your presentation ideas sound thoughtful and very reflective of the process and progress that you have made with this project. Have you given the presentation yet?? If so, how did it go?

    As for the two poems, I really like them! I think you're being too hard on yourself. Again, Poe's influence on you is clear. "Manic Frenzy" particularly has elements of "The Raven" and "The Tell-Tale Heart." Well done for analyzing the elements of Poe's style!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well thank you! My presentation is sometime in late May, so I'm still working on all the slides and ideas for my speech! Hope your project went well(:

      Delete